Thursday, July 17, 2008

Yooper's Quincy Mine Landmark Card


This (SC185) sketch called for the right shape to use a new stamp from a set that features some major landmarks for the Copper Country, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where I grew up and live.
This is the Quincy Mine in Hancock, MI. It is also this copper mine that my grandfather first worked in 1925, when he was 15 years old, before moving to the Chicago area a few years later. Mining is a huge part of history in the UP. My great-grandfather also (other side of my family) worked in the iron Mines over in Ishpeming while he moved his wife and children over from Finland, sometime before 1910 when my Grandma was born here in the USA. My dad also worked briefly in the iron mines when my parents were first married.
Although in recent years the Quincy Mine building has been re-sided with new gray siding, and is open for tours, I chose 'rust' to color it, for in my childhood there are vivid memories of a very rusty building that resembled (in my mind) a huge robot shaped like a kangaroo that might move if I didn't keep my eyes on it. A nostalgic moment here...gee, what a strange imagination I had! LOL Have a great day!

No comments: