Friday, August 29, 2008
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Our Stampin in the U.P. of Michigan get-together had a great turnout for all who came...and those of you who missed it, missed meeting alot of very nice, fun-to-be-with folks, and a great time too. Hope to see everyone next year, and those of you who missed it too! Truly, I stamped my heart out!
WT181 Sharpen Up Card Challenge
Today's challenge was to use my Colored Pencils anyway I wanted in the design of my card. I began with a brand new image from Eastern Influences, a new set from the new Fall and Winter 2008 Idea Book & Catalog. I had splurged last spring on a set of 120 Prisma Colored Pencils, and not having done much more than look at them and sharpen a few, today was definately the day to use them! I began by stamping the rose in Stazon Brown on Vanilla Card Stock and then colored in the image with just the yellow on the rose on the darkened areas, and 2 shades of greens on the leaves. Then I pulled out some stumps (think chipboard in the shape of pencils) which I dampened in ordorless Mineral Spirits to use to blend the colors together. The yellow seemed to all go to one color...maybe I didn't use enough contrast, or blended too long, but looked okay. The 2 greens blended nicely, and I was just getting into it, and it was done. I used a tan and a grey pencil to do the twig portion of the rose, and blended that too. (I just realized that you can see a close up if you click on the card picture!) The flower finished, I then tried to shade around behind it, and outlined the flower with a lavendar color (no idea why I chose it) and a blushy-colored thick sketching kind of thing past the lavendar. I blended them witht he Mineral Spirits too. Not sure if there was existing color left on the stumps before I blended the shading, but it passes for my first attempt. I chose Old Olive for the card base, to pick up from the leaves. Not being able to decide on a pattern paper or a background stamp, I used a Scor-Pal tool to make a dry-embossed lattice pattern over the entire card front. I used Choclate Chip card stock for the oval backs and some brown organdy ribbon, with the knot on the inside for an added touch of detail. The rose was cut out with a Scallop Oval Giga Punch with a Coluzzle Oval behind, and a large SU Oval for the phrase (from the new SU ''Best Yet" set). I backed the oval phrase with a scrap of brown that I cut around the oval with scalloped ProvoCraft scissors, to them in together. And there you have it!
Tuesday's "Technique Lover's Challenge" challenge was to use Faux Dry Embossing on our cards. This was a new one for me, but one I would most likely try again with all the new silhouette sets in the new catalog begging to try them out out with this fun technique. It looked so easy that I grabbed the first scrap I found that fit the first set I grabbed (Bronc Buster by SU). I stamped the bronc with the White Craft Pad and let it dry real well. Then I used a Stampamajig to restamp Chocolate Chip Ink over it about a 1/16" above the white bronc. You want to line the stampamajig up exactly with the first image, and then slide it just a smidge north, which leaves you with the illusion that it is raised. I held the Stampamajig down very firm and actually stamped a few times before I was happy with the brown intensity overlaying the white. (If you a careful not to move the handle at all, you can do this many times!) I distressed the edges of the brown mat and the white confetti, and layered them together before attaching them to the 8 1/2" x 4 1/4" Really Rust card folded in half. The trick to making sure that this this fold of card will fit in the envelope properly is to lay the 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" on top (bottom edges together) of the invitation size A2 envelope and place the image piece so that it is within the limits of the envelope (top of card not longer than the envelope)I used the "Sanded" background and a Much Obliged (Club Stamp) sentiment that I also did a Faux Dry Embossed technique with. Having less success with this second attempt, I corrected it a bit more white onto the words with my wonderful White Signo Gel Pen from Stampin' Up. Hmmm...Faux-Faux Dry Embossed!
What a busy month it has been! I started the month off with the "Stampin' in the U.P. of Michigan" Stamper get-together in my beautiful hometown Baraga. Then my family and I were off for a week of Family Church Camp in the small community of Forest Junction WI. We got home from there and found all these wonderful new Stampin' Up! Fall & Winter 2008 Idea Book & Catalogs waiting on my front porch along with about 6 other boxes of stuff that had been delivered while I was gone. I spent a week catching up on laundry & mail and getting ready for the next big thing..."A Church in a Day" Project being prepared for by some dear friends of ours that have a Home Missions church they began in Hancock, MI about 4 years ago. Of course, with all the help they are going to get, I volunteered to make the 350 Thank You Cards they figured they would need, while I impatiently waited for my Stampin' Up! order with all the NEW stuff in it. Cards, got done, new stuff arrived, and I am revved up and ready to go! But, we are camping this weekend, and so I plan to bring stuff to "detail" with watercolors, pencils, you know... stamp the pictures and color/pierce/cutout at a picnic table. Then home and back to real life again, with the addition of starting my youngest daughter a Kindergarten Home Schooling. SO...now you know what I've been up to, still lots to catch up on - I have lots of cards (yes, I made a few while I've been on the run) to show you pictures and details, but I'll do a bit at a time and get caught up. I would apologize for being gone so long, but hey, we use electric blankets 11 months of the year, so when summer's here, we go with it!
August was Awesome!!!