Monday, January 19, 2009

NEW!!! Echoes of Kindness


I thought of this set as soon as I read the Technique Lovers Challenge on Splitcoast today...a technique that I used to do alot, several years ago...so I hopped right back to that technique and it's alot easier than it looks. Hence, here's a tutorial with my hints along the way.
.
First you want to raid your scrap pile. If you want to make tile, cut them on a cutter, use a punch, freehand cut (like I did) or tear. Such a great way to use up ALL your scraps!
.
***I use 2 sided carpet tape, that I use a great deal of, when I am card-making. Unless you're very lucky, you cannot usually remove a piece once you tape it. It's about an inch and a half wide, and you first stick it on your piece to glue on, and then peel the remaining backing off. It is a dollar at a dollar store for 47 feet, and if you can't find an easy method to peel the backing off, grab your Tupperware orange peeler and it'll flip it up for you. I would not recommend this wonder-tape for scrapbooking, as I am not sure of it's acidity.***
.
Stretch out a piece about 6 inches long to a lightweight sheet of paper. I used one width, but if you want wider, lay the tape lengths out, side by side with no gaps, so that you can peel up the tops without messing up the adjoining edges when you peel them.
.
Peel the top/tops off.
.
Put your little pieces all over the tape, leaving spaces between for the embosing powder to stick to (like the cement between bricks).
.
**Here is where I invented tools to help pick up those itty bitty pieces. Use your 2-Way glue on the end of a crochet hook, stylus or a pencil-end eraser. Let it dry for a few minutes and then you can pick up pieces and put them where you want them on the sticky stuff. So easy now!**
.
Fill in your area and then cover the in-between spaces with your embossing powder. Heat. Check after it has cooled for any spots you may have missed and re-heat those areas. It is easy to do, since you have so many edges to keep track of. Now cut down the mosaic to size and use on your card.
.
Let me know if you tried this!
.
On my card I used Pale Plum, Perfect Plum, Brocade Blue, Soft Sky, Almost Ametyst, and Not Quite Navy, White cardstock. Copper embossing powder. A touch of Pearl-Ex (over the tiles) and a the "Alligator" Cuttlebug embossing folder, and Nestabilities Ovals and Scallops, Watercolor Crayons.

10 comments:

Jaspere said...

Wow this is lovely. You did a great job on the challenge/

Joyce Ann said...

your card caught my eye at SCS and came over here for the scoop. Wow, this is gorgeous card...gotta run to Dollar Tree...BRB [anniepanda]

Joanne Travis said...

So pretty with the copper embossing. I'll have to try this technique soon, today was crzay busy. I love your card!!!

Sharon said...

Wow! When I looked before reading, I was really wondering how you did the embossing! TFS!!
Awesome card!

Veronica Z said...

This card is so pretty! I love the "tile" effect. Thank you for the tutorial!

Jacquel said...

I love it! great job on the challenge!!

Angel said...

Lovely and some great tips here!

*Sally* said...

Lovely! Thanks for the step by step!

Sara said...

This is great!!

Dragana Skoro said...

Lovely card.